I feel a little bit like a princess in this skirt.
Pardon me for taking a while to put this post up. I decided to take it easy on Sunday and not think much about blogging so when today I finally downloaded the pictures from Binti onto my laptop and read: 'transferring 763 pictures', I nearly had a heart attack. I clearly went a little trigger happy out there.
I've decided to categorise the pictures/posts under different topics that way I can work my way through each bit in a more manageable manner. I'll start with my outfit.
Once again, Kidosho outdid themselves and created this beautiful, cobalt blue maxi skirt! Love the skirt's vibrant colour, texture and the soft pleats at the waist which slightly exaggerate my hips (always wanted to have bigger hips so yaaay!).
I went to Kidosho's workshop/store about two weeks ago to look for an outfit for the event and fell in love with this fabric. I then had them design this skirt for me which has a very simple yet chic vibe to it. You could always dress it down by wearing a simple tank and sandals or take it for a night out on the town like I did.
Love it!
I got my hair done by one of the very few people I trust - Dorothy from Farouk's Hair Salon at The Mall, Westlands. She really gets me I tell you. She knew exactly what I wanted and did a great job too!!
I knew I wanted to make a statement with my nails but wasn't sure how exactly to go about it until Dianna sent me a link on FB on how to do ombre nails. I'd seen tutorials before but never tried it out and figured what better time than SFW?
Got a lot of compliments on them from strangers and friends too.
I feel terrible that I can't remember who I got these earrings from but it was from a vendor at the Waldorf Ecofair that was held earlier this year. I'd have loved to have given you a link to her FB but I lost her card :( Bummer.
I did my make-up myself and decided to go for a neutral look.
Any make-up YouTube gurus you could point my way? I love watching their tutorials!
Tifa and I decided to go for the front row/VIP seats which gave us the best view in the house! Even though the tickets were a little more expensive, I think it was definitely worth it.
I freaked out a little when I saw my name on the seat and instead of acting all casual I started gawking and snapping pictures of it. Hah!
Oh yeaaah
To cinch in my waist, I went for the double-belt technique which I first saw on Wendy from Wendy's Lookbook.
Because the skirt has an extra flair around the hip area, I used the leopard print belt to draw attention to my waistline giving me more of an hour-glass figure.
How awesome is Tifa's turban?
I find funny faces to be very necessary sometimes.
I'm actually wearing a mini-dress as a top here. The softness of the nude pink against the silkiness of the skirt compliment each other perfectly!
Outfit:
Skirt - Kidosho
Dress worn as top - Mr. Price
Nude Pumps - Adams
Belts - Forever 21 & Mr. Price
Bracelets - Mother's
Earrings - Can't remember
Backstage pictures from SFW will be up tomorrow!
.
How was your weekend? Anyone go to Nairobi Fashion Market? I'd really like to know how it was!
Fill me in.
.....Wow...The nails,the hair and the skirt...to die for!! Clearly it only gets better with you! Good Stuff!!
ReplyDeleteAww thanks Alaka!
DeleteBut now I feel like the pressure is ONNN yo
Hi! I looooove the skirt and that hair gurrrrrllll!!! U looked amazing... Now, I need to know.... how or where did your get your nails done?
ReplyDeleteOne of my favourite beauty blogger/vlogger is Samantha Maria her channel is called Beautycrush. Here's one of her videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/beautycrush?feature=results_main. She knows her make-up.
Lemme ask,I know Farouk's is an amazing salon, but I've always had this idea that its super-duper expensive, is it?
I love reading your posts... I discovered your blog like a month ago. So keep 'em coming! Have a great week!
I did the nails myself - pretty quick and easy!
DeleteI think I've heard of Beautycrush before but never watched her videos.. Will check her out tonight.
Farouk's is the bombdiggity. It is expensive but I think it's TOTALLY worth it. To make it easy on my wallet I worked out a good deal with my hairdresser plus I only go there half the time my hair needs to be treated - the other half I do it myself at home. I also go there when I need to get a retouch which is every 3 months.
It's either Dorothy does my hair or I do my hair myself at home!
Thanks for reading AND for staying tuned!! Appreciate it :)
woooohoooo, i get a mention :-) glad you tried the nails tutorial :-) and you look great
ReplyDeleteGlad I did too - I literally got so many compliments on them! Quite the attention-grabber..
DeleteThanks Dianna :)
Madam Ess
ReplyDeletelooking good dear. you just made a simple skirt look like a runway skirt.
Gorgeous. am going to tafuta Kidosho for sure. I've heard too much about her.
Am trying to change my style. I love the fuse of African/modern fashion. It so unique and classy, then casual when u need it.
I really enjoy your fashion tips.
Your doing good girl :-)
kisses
Ceri
Yeah you have to check out Kidosho - they've got really cute stuff!
DeleteGlad to be of some help :)
xx
WOOOHOOOOOO!!!!!
ReplyDelete:-))))))))))))))))))))
looking hawt madam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Haha, you're energy is palpable Marion!
DeleteLove it :)
now im really sad i dint make it for the swahili fashion week.put all the photos here, don care if they make google crash.lol.okay, i do coz then i wount get to view them.
ReplyDeletegreat outfit,as usual.
love the belt thing.going to try it out one of these days.
im a freelance makeup artist and my fav youtube tutorials are from michelle phan.very large following.she's amazing.taught me almost everything i know to be honest.
check her out.
cheers darling.
Haha!! All 700+ ?? I'm pretty I'd bore y'all to death if I did that!
DeleteHow do you like being a make-up artist?
I've heard of Michelle Phan and her amazing make-up tutorials but never really watched any.. Will watch some tonight though.
Thanks Ciku
xx
maybe all the other viewers but me, i will love you forever for those pics.
Deletei was to go for sfw actually but i had a job that night at a different fashion show ):)
i love being a makeup artist.such a great outlet for me.plus it keeps me busy and on my toes.
i think i have downloaded like all of michelle's tutorials.im a bit of her fanatic (.. ) ( ..) hehe
anytime ess
tell me how you like them
just lovely
ReplyDeletethanks!
Deleteyou looked amazing you both did! And i love love love the nails speaking of which you got me hooked on water marble tutorials after i read your post on it:)Don't really know any youtube makeup pple i do mine myself since i worked in a department store while in college and had friends who were makeup artists so i got plenty free training from them. I am hoping this is a preview of the many photos yet to come
ReplyDeleteYup, loads more to come!
DeleteSo you've tried the water marble nails? How do they come out?? I've only ever done them that one time I think.. Should do it again soon!
first time was a mess getting better but i only ever do just one nail on each hand tho
Deleterequest is there a way you can link up other sites so that they open up in a new window as opposed to your page?
ReplyDeleteNot sure I quite understand the question..
DeleteWhich other sites??
Oh wait, are you talking about the links to other people's sites I usually put up in my post? Never realised that they direct people to another page..
DeleteI'll see what I can do, hopefully it's possible!
Thanks for the heads up
yes that's what i meant they open up on the same page you are on instead of a new window
Deletehi Ess & Lydz, just right click on the link and select "open link in new tab".
Deletehaha! Way to make us look so shady Joyce..
DeleteI think what Lydz was asking is if there was I way I could change my settings so that it automatically opens in another tab. I totally understand why though cos there have been times I've clicked on a link only to have the page I'm on start loading the new one and I have to quickly cancel the loading process.
Lydz unfortunately I couldn't figure it out.. I'll remember to do something about this little glitch as I re-do my blog though!
lol! its no biggie, just try what i suggested, it works and you won't be re-directed elsewhere...at least thats what i do :) Love your blog btw and your hair! Am a hairjunkie and i blog about it
DeleteNicee! What foundation are you wearing and in what shade? X
ReplyDeleteI usually use Maybelline Fit Me foundation but it always leaves me oily which I hate especially because of how it looks in pictures. Even when I put powder it still leave me shiny. Gaaah!
DeleteAnyway, this time round I used my mum's Black Opal foundation together with Maybelline. Lucky for me they were the EXACT same shade!!
Hi! Love the skirt and the belt! Could you do a post on a step by step tutorial of how you did your nails? They look amazing!
ReplyDeleteAnd where exactly at Adam's did you get the pumps? Looking to get some like those myself. Love your look btw! Totally pretty and chic.
fromcurveswithlove.wordpress.com
Sure, I'll do a tutorial soon :) It was actually really, really easy (and messy too).
DeleteI'm not sure how to explain it perfectly but it was on the side of the main road - like you're going towards Toi itself. He just had the shoes spread out and I randomly came across him!
You look great as always! I can't believe I am so behind on blogging. You are doing fantastic! The look is everything!
ReplyDeleteHG WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE!! I've missed you and your honest, quirky, crazy comments and views. And I'm not just saying that.
DeleteSharon!!! Eek! I'm excited that you're a blogger! I just discovered the blog and I'm DEVOURING it!
ReplyDeleteEx-Rusinga style bloggers high five? Say yes.
HELL YES.
DeleteJust started going through yours too! Which part of the world are you now in??
I'm in Vancouver, and I still haven't decided how I feel about that :-S
DeleteI'm assuming you've graduated and are back home?
P.S. I feel like this is a conversation that requires email, yanno?
Stunning! much love from Canada
ReplyDelete:) :)
DeleteThats a lovely outfit..:)
ReplyDeleteLove the blog
Wow, is this thee Wambui Mukenyi??
DeleteThank you!!
love the outfit!
ReplyDeleteMerci!!
Deletewow i love your blog,new in my favourites blog list,so hw kan i get such a skirt??
ReplyDeleteAwww thanks Alice!
DeleteLiz from Kidosho will help with that ;)
http://www.facebook.com/Kidosho.ke?fref=ts