September 28, 2012

New In: Maasai Market and A Bar of Soap


I can never get enough of Maasai Market. All those pretty shiny things waiting to bought and the pesky sellers with their “kuangalia ni bure” selling pitch make it so exciting for me! I don’t know if I can quite explain how much fun I have bargaining; I mean the thrill of driving down prices and trying to get the best value for your money makes it all the more exciting. Any of you out there who aren't into Maasai Market? 

Yesterday I decided to step into Maasai Market at Junction and go on a hunt for some little treasures. I think the key to going shopping there lies in your ability to be patient. If I like something and manage to drive the price down to what I consider affordable, I’ll buy it there and then. If I’m iffy about something, I’ll take a walk round the other stalls and if I still feel like I want that piece at the end of it all, I’ll go back for it. But whichever way I go, I always take my time with the piece – I’ll try it on, check the hardware for defects, see how it feels on my skin, and get to know the vendor.  

From what I can remember, I don’t believe I’ve ever gone to Maasai Market and paid more than KES550 for a piece of jewellery.
Until yesterday.
I bought these two beautiful necklaces from this guy called Muriithi for KES900 each!
EACH.
Gaaaaah.
Have I lost my bargaining mojo???

We talked, argued a little, got frustrated with each other and laughed about it all. There was a lot of hullabaloo on trade beads from West Africa, semi-precious turquoise stones and brass rings being rather expensive and that’s why the prices were higher than that of your average piece. To be honest, I believe that half of this story is true, I’m just not sure which half.

So to make it all worthwhile I picked up one piece for myself and another for my mum with the intention that I was purchasing one on her behalf. I reckon it’s a win win situation here. I buy two pieces, get my mother to reimburse me for the one that she takes and still have access to both necklaces! 
Who’s a smart cookie?? 

Anyway, here are the pieces I got: 

Earrings - KES 100

Necklace - KES900 (My mum took this one)

 Rings - KES100 Each

 Necklace - KES900

Earrings - KES100

 Earrings - KES150

You should know that whilst my brother was busy pinning me to the ground for NO REASON AT ALL, he made me lose the ring on my pinky. The goon owes me KES100. 

Oh my gosh you guys.
This. Bar. Of. Soap.
It deserves a post on it's own.


Let me know if you have any similar pieces in your collection!
We could be twinsies over here. 

9 comments:

  1. Hi madam Ess :-)

    am a new fan of your blog.
    Am a Kenyan and live in Vienna, Austria and I take pride in the fact that I wear only Kenyan Jewellery. I love shopping at the massai markets all over Nai. When am hone i make a point to go to all of them.
    My problem is there is too much choice (if thats a real problem) and its hard to pick the special stuff. So i usually go with my cousin who is amazing at that and she loves negotiating. I call her the killer coz seriously she cuts those prices and actually gets them. Love it.
    I love what u've purchased and will definitely look for the exact same thing this Dec when i go home.
    Thanks for the tips :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh Vienna.. How is it there?
      I totally understand what you mean by too much to choose from but at the same time it sometime frustrates me that many vendors will stock similar items. I find that it doesn't give much room for choice PLUS it can't be good for business now can it?

      Nairobi will be waiting for you in Dec!
      xx

      Delete
    2. Vienna is a beautiful city. The weather sucks at the moment. Its autumn at the moment meaning the chills are coming in. Not fun. I hate cold :-)
      I agree on your point of the vendors having similar stuff. That's why i go to all the markets when i go home so that i make sure i have seen everything.
      Talking about it makes me so excited about going home :-)

      Delete
  2. jannettekay@gmail.com28 September 2012 at 11:43

    Love love love the rings...Ialso enjoy haggling with the vendors at Maasai market till they ell their items at the ideal price

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just found the little one that I thought was misssing!!! Woooohooooo!!!!

      Bargaining for the win.

      Delete
  3. I only shop at the one in town, I find the prices there are cheaper than the rest of the locations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait, how often do you come back to Nairobi?? I thought you were pretty much settled in the states!

      I've been to the one in town, at Junction and Westgate and didn't find that the prices varied too much. Then again, I do suspect that the rent they pay at the malls would be higher than at the High courts, driving the price up. hmm.. good point Neema.

      Delete
    2. I try to make it once a year :)

      Delete
  4. If I ever visit KEnyan, am going to have to find you somehow to take me to this local market. Sounds like an exciting experience, I love local markets. Lovely finds too, :=)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...